Expanded August Support Hours
Missouri Online is expanding support hours from Aug. 14–29 for the start of the fall semester.
- Monday through Friday, reach instructional technologists 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. via chat, email or phone: 855-675-0755. Staff will also answer emails in the evenings and on weekends Aug. 14–24.
- BlackBeltHelp will continue to be available via phone at 855-675-0755 outside of our standard business hours.
- Missouri Online has a dedicated instructional design team available to help faculty start the semester off right with Canvas templates, last-minute course updates and other online teaching needs. Please email email@example.com to request a meeting with an ID.
We look forward to hearing from you and helping you as we kick off another semester.
Get Your Canvas Courses Ready for Fall
August 21 will be here before we know it. Get your Canvas course ready for the semester with the Teaching Tools website for great how-to’s and information on specific applications, assessment, communication and more. If you are new to the UM System, check out our Getting Started in Canvas document. The Start of the Semester Checklist is also a great tool to help manage your overall Canvas experience. Finally, use the Course Readiness Checklist for each course to make sure you’re prepped and ready to go.
Digital accessibility is every instructor’s responsibility, even if you have not received a request for accommodation. Please make sure your online course materials are digitally accessible before the semester begins. Use the Microsoft Accessibility Checker to check your Word documents and PowerPoint slide decks, and scan your Canvas site with UDOIT. If you are uploading videos to Panopto, enable automatic machine captions for your course folder.
If you have questions about digital accessibility or need help creating accessible materials, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What’s New in Canvas
Beginning August 11, you will have access to two new features in Canvas:
- Enhanced Gradebook filters: Create and manage your own filter presets and use existing filters.
- Online Attendance: Available through New Analytics in your Canvas course site. When students meet any of the requirements chosen by the instructor, they will be marked as attended for the day.
Here Comes AI: Upcoming Training Opportunities and Resources
New Artificial Intelligence Series
Academic Technology and the Instructional Design teams have partnered to create a new three-series course on Artificial Intelligence (AI). Bring questions and ideas you may have about teaching with AI. Attend an upcoming session:
- Types and Uses of Generative AI: Aug. 8 from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Teaching and Learning in the Era of Generative AI: Aug. 17 from 10 to 11 a.m.
- AI Plagiarism and Cheating: Sept. 5 from 10 to 11 a.m.
New AI resources and survey
- AI documentation: Articles and helpful information are now available on our Teaching Tools website.
- AI survey: Give us insight into how you currently use AI in your class and what resources you expect are needed.
- Blog post: Read our perspective on Teaching in the time of AI on our teaching blog.
Canvas Super Sessions
If you’ve found yourself in a pinch and need to learn a lot about Canvas in a short amount of time, we suggest you sign up for one of our Canvas Super Sessions. These condensed 90-minute sessions include an overview of the essentials and additional key information on assignments, quizzes and grades.
Register for an upcoming session:
Instructor Mini Bootcamps
Register for the Academic Technology Assessment Bootcamp on Aug. 29–30. Meet on Zoom for 55-minute classes, and find out how to create many types of assessments with Turnitin, SmarterProctoring or Canvas assignments and quizzes. For more details about the schedule, view the Assessment Bootcamp flyer.
Register for the Academic Technology Media Bootcamp on Sept. 6–7. Discover how to interact with and engage your students using VoiceThread, Panopto and Zoom. For more details about the schedule, view the Media Bootcamp flyer.
Online Teaching Certification Status and Options
Attend an online teaching certification or recertification seminar to create and deliver quality, data-driven learning experiences for your students. Gain critical knowledge for you to help facilitate best practice-based strategies in online learning environments, reflect on your teaching strategies and persona, build a deeper learning community and more.
A new web application is now available to help faculty check their certification status and the Quality Course Review status for online courses they are added in with the “Teacher” Canvas role. Log in to the application and check your status at: https://oel-data-portal.umsystem.edu/.
New Student Resource: Canvas Page Templates
Missouri Online has recently developed four student resource page templates in Canvas for each of our campuses. These resources include information and links to various campus resources, such as disability services, technology support, tutoring, writing centers and library information. These templates can be found in Canvas Commons (search for Missouri Online to find them) as well as on our website (under Additional resources & templates) and are a great resource to add to your Canvas courses.
Moving Away from OneHE & New Faculty Resources
In November 2021, UM System started an agreement with OneHE for two years to pilot a resource for faculty. Due to low usage, we are not continuing the agreement and access will expire on Nov. 30.
With the transition away from the OneHE resource, Missouri Online is proud to share the new Teaching Resource Canvas Catalog which has a variety of professional development resources for faculty to learn a new skill, find new information or connect with colleagues.
Impact is now in Canvas to Improve Messaging
A new support center link is now available in your main Canvas navigation menu. The support center includes access to Missouri Online’s Teaching Tools website, Student Learning Resources knowledge base articles and native Canvas guides for instructors and students.
Missouri Online was created to support digital education and encourage significant enrollment growth in online programs across our four universities. Our team of instructional designers and developers, learning technologists, student services professionals, program coordinators and marketing specialists are here to assist you.